First Church of Christ, Scientist Wilmington, DE
We’re glad you want to know more about our church!
Christian Science activity in Wilmington, Delaware, began as early as 1887, and church services began in 1896. Sunday services and Wednesday evening testimony meetings are held at Churches of Christ, Scientist around the world. Our “pastor” is the Holy Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.
People in over 130 countries around the globe find that Christian Science has brought uplift and healing to their lives.
Our services continue throughout the year without interruption with a special service on Thanksgiving Day.
We look forward to welcoming you to a service soon!
Our Sunday service lasts about an hour and includes a musical prelude, solo, offertory, and postlude, and silent and spoken prayer in addition to the Bible Lesson Sermon.
The “sermon” at the Sunday service is the weekly Bible lesson read by two Readers, one for the Bible and one for Science and Health.
Topics for the lessons are repeated twice a year with fresh inspiration and new passages each time the topic is considered.
Wednesday Testimony Meetings
During these meetings, a Reader shares selections from the Holy Bible and Science and Health on a topic of current local or world interest. Often the topic is chosen to address everyday concerns confronting people in their homes, at work, and in their community with the expectation of healing them.
At the conclusion of the readings, members of the congregation are invited to share testimonies of healing, inspiration, and remarks on God’s presence in their life and how practical this presence is.
A musical prelude, postlude, hymn singing, silent prayer and the Lord’s Prayer complete the hour-long service.
Young people up to age 20 are welcome to attend our Sunday School each week at the same time as our Sunday worship service. Children are naturally interested in God and want to know more about their Father-Mother and His/Her presence in their lives.
First lessons include the Ten Commandments, Christ Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, and the Lord’s Prayer.
Bible stories come alive as experienced teachers show how spiritual and moral values are important in what we do every day.
Teens are encouraged to discuss topics important to their daily lives and how an understanding of God can support, comfort, and guide them.
In Sunday School, young people:
- learn how to pray
- learn how to heal
- learn about topics of interest to their age group
- learn how to solve everyday problems
- talk over the ideas in the weekly Bible Lessons
- find out how to use these ideas at school, in relationships, at home – anywhere
A strong foundation for a happy, healthy, and productive life can be established by regular Sunday School attendance.
If you’re under 20, please come!
Each branch church has a free, public Reading Room for use by the community. It’s a religious bookstore and so much more.
The Holy Bible and the Christian Science textbook are available there. It’s a universal book whose ideas heal, teach, and help you solve problems. You can also find biographies of Mary Baker Eddy and reminiscences from those who knew and worked with her.
The Reading Room also has a quiet area where you may pray, read, and listen to inspirational music.
A wealth of resources to support a deeper understanding of God is available at the Reading Room which include:
- Bible study aids and reference books
- A computer with internet access for research
- Pamphlets to open thought about everyday challenges and opportunities
- A free lending library
- Books and videos about Mary Baker Eddy and Christian Science healing
- CDs and cassettes of hymns and songs of inspiration
- Children’s books and music designed for young people
- Literature from The Christian Science Publishing Society, including over 100 years of bound volumes of articles and testimonies of healing (and internet access to these, as well)
- The Christian Science Monitor, a Pulitzer prize-winning international weekly magazine
- The Christian Science Journal, a monthly religious magazine
- The Christian Science Sentinel, a weekly inspirational magazine
- The Christian Science Quarterly, weekly Bible Lessons
- internet access to The Herald of Christian Science, published in several languages
The main Christian Science website: christianscience.com
The Christian Science Monitor csmonitor.com
Inspirational/Timely Topics jsh-christianscience.com, Daily Lift
Youth Podcasts, etc. christianscience.com/youth
Looking for healing? christianscience.com/practitioners
Inspirational talks christianscience.com/find-us/find-a-lecture
Church, Reading Room and Contact Information
Sunday Serviceand Sunday School10:30 AM
Wednesday Testimony Meeting7:30 PM
Thanksgiving Day Service10:30 AM
Reading Room HoursMonday - Thursday
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Church103 Brandywine Blvd
Wilmington, DE 19803
Mailing Address900 Tatnall St
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
Reading Room900 Tatnall St
Wilmington, Delaware 19801